Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Experimental Time!

I've got a bit of time before the Caribbean cakes are baked so I've decided to devote my time to finding a few stellar recipes - light and fluffy cakes. I wanted to find a good mocha cupcake recipe, so, following a chocolate recipe, I simply added a couple tsp. of finely ground Costa Rica Peet's coffee. Upon tasting these mini mochas I found them to be very rich and bold! However, the coffee dried them out too much and after a day or two they were hard, dry and gross! Mind you, you probably shouldn't keep cupcakes after a day or two on the counter and expect them to retain their freshness. So I'm off to find another recipe or alter the one I tried by adding less coffee and maybe whip up some egg whites instead of using the yolks to make them lighter. It was fun to decorate my mocha cups! Chocolate and vanilla buttercream icing topped my cakes along with some marshmallows, caffe latte jelly belly's and just a sprinkle of cinnamon. yummm!


2 comments:

  1. What type of design is this? What type of frosting did you use? I likle the air-light fluffy look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used buttercream frosting - a simple recipe using vegetable shortening and icing sugar. I came up with the mini cocoa cup idea but I think next time I want to find some kind of candy to make the handle of the cup.

    ReplyDelete