Tuesday, September 8, 2009

mmm toasted coconut!


What is yummier than a creamy coconut cupcake? A creamy coconut cupcake with buttercream icing, toasted coconut and cashews on top! YUM! I took a standard vanilla cupcake recipe, added some coconut to the batter and then topped it off with more coconut goodness. This time 'round I experimented with a different buttercream icing recipe which definitely uses a LOT more butter than my other recipe which used mostly vegetable shortening (for a stiffer icing). This icing combines meringue, butter and vanilla seeds which makes for a very decadent cupcake topper. First I used a double boiler and dissolved the sugar in the egg whites. Then I meringued them up with an electric mixer and added some butter pieces one by one until the consistency was smooth and creamy. However, the icing does get soft quickly so I popped the cakes into the fridge after icing each one - this set the icing nicely. I made a variety of cupcakes using this standard vanilla cupcake recipe by simply adding different ingredients to set them apart. Coming soon...orange creamsicle cupcakes. Double yum :P

No comments:

Post a Comment