Friday, March 1, 2013

a belated Valentine's post...


February went by in a whirl, mostly because there are only 28 days in the month, but also because I think I lost track of the days due to sickness hovering over our little apartment.  Finally on the mend - a trip to Florida must have helped! - I have finally found the energy within to sit down and update this blog.  And what an update huh?!  Yes, "cupcake couture" is now the even more sophisticated "lady CUPCAKE"...I think it has a nice ring to it and I feel like I've earned the title since I've been ms. cupcake for the past almost 4 years.  And watching multiple episodes of "Cupcake Wars" I feel also legitimizes this  change of name ;)

So what has the lady been up to?  Well, Valentines has been long over and Easter is well on its way but here are the cakes I made for V day:  Chocolate raspberry truffle cupcakes and spiced chai vanilla bean cupcakes.  I made a yummy ganache and piped some in to the chocolate cupcakes by steaming some heavy whipping cream and then adding chocolate and raspberry preserves.  I let this mixture chill overnight and then whipped it up the next day.  For the chai cakes, I brewed my own tea with loose leaf black chai tea, some star anise, crushed cardamom pods, a cinnamon stick and fresh ginger.  I let the tea steep overnight in the spices so that the flavours would come through nicely in the baked cakes, and they did :)  For a finishing touch I piped some chocolate decorations in the shapes of hearts and 'love' to top the cakes - note:  chocolate candy melts harden better than melted chips!






No comments:

Post a Comment